Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Happy Late Fathers Day

Yay! Fathers Day!!

Poor Dads, I don't think they get nearly enought attention on Fathers day. Mother days, pft, if you don't do something for your Mom you're either an axe murderer or just a complete and total jerk that will obviously go to places where fire burns constantly.

But Fathers day, well it's kind of okay to skip. Give him food. Give him clothes. Give him time where he doesn't have to move from the couch/bed, and your debt to him is repaid. It's sad.

But this post is about how amazing my Father is, yet this still isn't a gift to him since he doesn't read my blog and will never see this, lame Dad.

Anyway!

Today we hiked, just me and him. 

And I love to hike, I really do, but I'm horrible at it. I'm overweight and out of shape and my Father.....isn't. He's incredibly small, it's unfair really. But we hiked anyway! Because we both love the outdoors and spending time together (my Fathers becomes REALLY funny when you can't run from him) and fresh air and moving our legs and all that stuff. And because my Father is such an avid, athletic, hiker he picked all kind of crazy FIVE HOUR hikes that I quickly shot down and we settled on a moderately easy two hour round trip hike.

WELL, that bilboard LIED, the hike was much tougher (and longer) than that. Which I very quickly saw when we got five feet from the car and I couldn't breathe!

And this is when I start to fall in love with my Dad: He LIED to me. Well kind of lied. Every, oh I don't know, five minutes (sometimes more depending on how steep the climb was) he would suddenly look back, see me dying and decide he needs to stop and check the map (um who are you fooling Dad? We're on a straight trail) or stare at a plant that could possibly be poisonious so I needed to stare at it too for five minutes and memorize it so neither of us brush up against it, or is suddenly horribly winded and needs to stop, or wants to just double check that we didn't possibly get off the trail and see that map again. FOR THE WHOLE HIKE.

He didn't rush me, he didn't yell at me, he didn't get upset with me, he didn't make fun of me, he didn't criticize me, he didn't ask if I wanted to quit, he didn't growl or roll his eyes or glare or get mad because I was slow he LIED and made it look like it was him that needed to stop. He never admitted that either, he even went so far as to say he was getting old and that he really did need to stop, but I knew he was lying, and it was the best lying of my life.

And that is why my Dad is perfect. He wants to spend time with his children so badly, he'll lie to keep them coming back, to keep them as comfortable as possible, to take away their weakness.

My Dad is amazing. Period.

No comments: